Swollen growth at entrance to vagina, bleeding after squeezing.

Hi, 2 weeks ago whilst having my period I noticed a swollen growth at entrance to vagina. The growth then shrunk within a week but still remained. It is the same colour as surrounding skin, it is currently a couple of mm's wide by 6mm long. It is fatter at the end slightly. I squeezed it yesterday to see if anything happened and it bled and once again swelled up considerably.
I am very scared.
For info I gave birth 6 month ago and had an episiotomy (not sure if this is relevant)
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

The swelling in your vagina could be due to a granuloma around a suture of episiotomy or a Bartholin's cyst.

Since the swelling has increased in size, it suggests that there is bleeding or a collection inside the swelling. It needs to be examined by a Gynecologist for proper diagnosis and treatment. Surgical drainage or removal of cyst might be needed under local anaesthesia with good antibiotic cover.

Please visit your gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Swollen growth at entrance to vagina, bleeding after squeezing. 35 minutes later
Thanks for that. I keep reading about genital warts and this terrifies me. You don't mention this so I'm assuming my description does not sound like a wart. This growth is to the left at the bottom end of vaginal entrance. As I stated it swells and then returns to a smaller size (when it just appears like a fleshy lump)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

From your description, genital warts are not a likely possibility in your case.

It is more likely to be a Bartholin's cyst.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you speedy recovery.