Swollen feet and ankles. Took mirtazapin. Right medication?

Nov 2013

My feet, ankles and legs up to about my knees have swollen in the last 2 days. It's on both sides. Could it be from a new medication I just started last Tuesday?. Name of this medication is: MIRTAZAPIN15 MG tablets> one tablet every night at bedtime?
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.

Mirtazapine is generally a safe medication, and it is commonly used for treating depression. The usual daily dose is 15-45 mg per day.
Swelling of feet and ankles occurs in about 2% of patients taking this drug. So, if there are no other causes for the swelling, you should discontinue it after consulting/discussing with your doctor.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: