Swollen bruised incision after c-section. How long will it take to heal? Will there be a scar?

I had a c section about 2 and a half weeks ago. My incision is swollen and bruised. It looks as if I have a rolling pin sewed under my skin. The swelling is the length of my incision 6 inches long and 3 inches wide. How long will it take before the swelling is gone? Also could this be scar tissue? If so than it will never go away?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

You had a C- section almost 20 days ago and now the incision scar is swollen and bruised. I will be able to understand the problem better if you can send me a good picture of the affected region.

Based on the details provided, swelling and a bruised or angry look of the incision line without any pain or visible discharge is most likely an overgrown scar tissue or a keloid. It is usually associated with excessive itching around the scar area.

A direct clinical examination is needed to confirm the diagnosis.

Usually topical steroid ointments are used to decrease the connective tissue growth but their efficacy is limited. If topical ointments do not help, Steroid injections can actually work extremely well. They are not very painful and are very easy procedures that physicians can perform in the comfort of their own office. Generally these injections will lead to a significant degree of symptomatic improvement within a few days. Please consult your physician for a local examination and appropriate treatment.

Hope this answers your query. Do upload a good quality picture of the affected region using the upload feature available in this webpage. Let me know if I have missed out on any other concerns.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Swollen bruised incision after c-section. How long will it take to heal? Will there be a scar? 44 hours later
Dear Dr Tayal,

Thank you for your reply. Attached is a picture of my swollen c section incision. Would scar tissue be so swollen or is there a chance that this is just swelling and bruising and my body will reabsorb it?

Also as for the steroid injections, how soon can those be started as my c section incision still has a scab on it?

Thanks again for your advise.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

I have seen the picture attached with this query.

The swelling around your scar line seems to be a subcutaneous reactive swelling. It is not likely to be a keloid. This kind of swelling usually resolves on its own over time. Taking anti inflammatory drugs and enzymes like serratiopeptidase will help in early healing. Right now I do not feel there is any need of steroid injections.

The scab over the wound will shed off in next 7-10 days. If there is no discharge from the wound line and no fever then there is nothing worrisome.

An examination by your gynecologist will help in ruling out any local infection in the area.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wish you good health.