Swollen and heavy testicle, exercising at gym. Is it fluid retention or strain?

HIV AIDS Specialist
This past week i worked out pretty hard at the gym. Yesterday i awoke with a Swollen right testicle. Tried to sleep it off. Did light exercise today. No pains. It just feels swollen and heavy. I have been mental about this. Have looked up all the possible reasons/symptoms, dont really match most of them, but still feel uneasy. Is it fluid retention? Strain? I'm afraid it can be a hernia, but I don't feel sharp pains? And so suddenly?
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
There are 2 possibilities in your scenario. First and the most likely is an Inguinal hernia. Hernia in the early stages will be painless. This is due to the weakness of your abdominal muscles.
Next possibility of painless scrotal swelling is due to Hydrocele. You will need to stop working out as this can potentially get worse if its a hernia.
Please see a physician. A good physical examination can guide us towards the right diagnosis. Both these conditions are readily treatable (albeit a surgery is required) and there is nothing you should be worried about.
Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan