Swollen and chapped lips, excessive salivation. Had hysterectomy. Taken antibiotics for urinary bladder infection.Pain in abdomen and back

My lips are swollen inside, and I wake up with chapped lips and saliva or water running out my mouth in the morning where to my pillow is even wet. I just had a hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and have had a bladder infection since. I have taken two rounds of antibiotics and I know I still have some kind of infection. Back is hurting, my lower abdomen and I have a discharge, what should I do? Call the gynocologist or go to a med express or family doctor? Long question but seems to all happen at once.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later

Your excessive salivation is not related to the bladder infection. Both these issues have to be dealt with individually. To address the salivation, since it seems to be sudden onset, this is probably due to excessive production of saliva in the salivary gland or reaction to an allergen may be drug induced, infection etc. As the description seems to be edematous inflammation and stretching of the thin tissues causing chapped lips in the perioral region. You will need further tests to find out the cause. You can try with a Ibuprofen to reduce the swelling.

Second, pain the lower back and abdomen is common after surgery. You could wear a abdominal belt for support and this will reduce to pain considerably.

However, the vaginal discharge is of concern, as it could be due to secondary infection. You should have your surgeon, who operated on you, to do a per speculum examination and check the wound.
Sometimes, clear discharge may present, which is normal. But long term discharge, bloody or greenish; foul smelling etc needs to be treated with high grade antibiotics.

I suggest that you see your gynecologist first and rule out an infected wound. Then consult your physician about the excessive salivation.

Let me know if I can assist you further.