Swelling inside leg, pains on pressing. No discoloration. What could the cause be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Swelling on inside of leg just below knee and Soft, no temperature difference, no discoloration, no palpable or visible edge, size reduces with elastic wrap. No pain unless press hard (but that's the same for the other leg that is not swollen). HIstory of various trauma (sprains, falls, etc.) but most recent was a couple of months ago.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of the lump. Possibilities that may need to be considered include enlarged bursa, lipomas, cysts, growths from underlying connective tissue etc.

Sometimes, a fluid filled structure just below the knee cap called infra patellar bursa is chronically inflamed, with or without pain, due to some infection or trauma and the process causes fibrosis and inflammation, making a lump like structure below the knee.
This is most likely to be a benign inflammatory lump and is not worrisome.
I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray of the area affected and MRI scan of lump done under his guidance.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.