Suspected to have ADD. How to diagnose the disease?

Hello. I think that my Grand son may have ADD and I dont know how to proceed. He is 23 years old so I have to proceed with sensitivity
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 15 minutes later
Thanks for your query. ADD or attention deficit disorder is a predominantly adolescent onset disorder characterised by inattention hyperactivity and impulsivity. It can persist into adulthood referred to as adult ADD. However a definitive diagnosis is possible only after a thorough psychiatric evaluation and application of relevant questionnaires. Hence you can contact your psychiatrist for evaluation. The other conditions that need to be ruled out include bipolar disorder and personality disorders as they can mimic ADD. Appropriate management can be planned only after clinching the diagnosis. You can take him to a psychiatrist in some other pretext. Wish him speedy recovery.
Dr Sundar