Suitable treatment for positive Widal test result for typhoid fever?

HI, My wife, 30 years, got diagnosed two day back. Results of Widal Test Report(Semi Quantitative) are following Salmonella Typho 'O' 1:80 Salmonella Typho 'H' 1:80 other results are negative. Can you tell me suitable treatment for this condition.
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that your test report is suggestive of test positivity for Typhoid fever but the titre is given value when it is more than 1:320 . but the clinical features will also play a role in this to correlate whether disease is present or not. Sometimes on repeating the test after few days it may turn out to be positive in higher titre . Generally antibiotics like Ceftriaxone , ciprofloxacin etc. are given for this condition for 7 -14 days depending on the severity . But the decision lies in the hands of treating doctor as he knows the best because he has examined the patient in person . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Suitable treatment for positive Widal test result for typhoid fever? 18 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX I am being little suspicious on report, since the reference range for both of them suggested is to be less than 1:80 for a negative result. it is exactly 1:80 in her test results. Can you please tell what does 1:80 dilution mean for both S typho? Till now she has told me following symptoms: 1) fever that comes for one or two hours.(2-3 times in a day) 2) headache 3) stomach ache 4) Hair falls Doctor told her to go for saline instillation treatment. Is there any other way of treatment for this disease. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Well the result is not positive in itself but the test needs to be repeated again in view of fever to see if the titre is rising .If there is an increasing trend the possibility of typhoid fever exists . Also tuberculosis needs to be investigated . There is nothing wrong with saline instillation treatment , it will improve the hydration but any other treatment can be recommended only when the diagnosis is certain. Dr. Shruti