Suggestions for treating depression with Ayurveda?

Ayurveda Specialist
Hello. Can you please give me some suggestions for treating severe, ongoing depression with ayurveda methods? I have been afflicted with depression most of my life but have usually been able to manage it effectively with anti depressent medication, exercise, and other healthy choices. But over the last 9 months following an extremely significant breakup with my ex-boyfriend (that has caused huge turmoil in my professional life because we work together and cannot work together right now because the emotions and conflict are overpowering), I have become extremely, extremely depressed, and my anti depressents are not helping that much. My psychiatrist has added an anti depressant to my regular regime which has helped a little, but I am still struggling every day. My dosha is strongly vata, with a secondary dosha of pitta. I feel extremely stuck and unhappy. I have not been able to work for the last few months, but I will have to return to work soon. I will return to work with my ex-boyfriend, who happens to be my boss, and I am very anxious about it because I do not feel capable right now of interacting with him daily in a calm and professional manner. I am overwhelmed with grief, anger, sadness and anxiety when I think about it. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me from an ayurveda perspective. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Nikul Patel 27 hours later

I appreciate your decision to get the depression treated through ayurvedic treatment. Ayurveda has very good treatment for psychosomatic disorders.

You mentioned that your dosha is vaata and secondary Pitta. Probably your early depression, anger and other stressors are created by the dosha - it is known nature of vaat dosha.
Therefore I advise you the following ayurveda medicines. They do not have any side effects and you need not worry about it making you habitual.

1. Cap. Stresscom (dabur) 2 caps twice a day with milk
2. XXXXXXX brahmi vati 1 tab twice a day with honey
3. Tab siledin 2 tabs thrice a day with water
4. Saraswatarishtam 10 ml twice a day with water after meal

Do not stop your current antidepressant drugs. Once you feel better and get back your confidence through the above medicines you can gradually withdraw from the antidepressant drugs step by step with the help of your psychiatrist.

I would also like to remind you that ayurveda medicines should be continued for a long time - a year or two may be.

In addition to the above medications, I also like to advice for ayurveda treatments like panchkarma. It will help you overcome the problem speedily and effectively. You may contact the nearest good panchkarma center and request for
1. Shirodhara treatment
2. Abhyang and swedan treatment.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other enquiries.

Get well soon...

Dr. Nikul Patel
Ayurveda Consultant