Suggest treatment for thumb injury

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am looking for a doctor to help me with my hands. I have had carpal tunnel surgery on both over 25 years ago. My neurologist says it's not coming back. I had a severe injury to my left thumb inner joint shucking oysters! My PCP says I have arthritis in my fingers. My left wrist also was injured severely and developed tendonitis. This was all years ago. But NOW it's causing me to miss work and I can't stand the pain. Aspercreme only does so much. HELP!
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get your x-ray done. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. One I want to explain is that aspercreme is used for relieving minor pain and inflammation. So you should get x-ray of left wrist focusing thumb in AP and Lateral view done. Discus the report with your doctor or send it to me. Your doctor would do physical examination and compare it with x-ray findings. Your doctor may advise you some safer painkiller ointments, he may advise you steroid injection in the joint or if needed he may advise you some sort of surgery. He would also advise you splinting of wrist so that proper rest may be given to your wrist. You can also discus with him for taking muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside and glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate tablets. Your doctor may also advise your certain muscle strengthening exercises. These exercise are also uploaded on youtube. You should apply hot packs over affected part for 30 mins in morning and evening. You should take balanced diet, take calcium supplements. You should not take any medicine without prescription of doctor. You must avoid heavy weight lifting with your wrist till you see your doctor. I hope it helps. You are welcome to ask further health related queries. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: WWW.WWWW.WW Let me know if you have any concerns. Thanks. Dr.Singh.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for thumb injury 22 minutes later
That's just it. I have talked to my PCP and my neurologist about this and even ASKED them if they could inject it but they won't. So... Do I need a orthopedic guy or a rheumetologist ? I hesitate with a rheumatologist because it's ostesoarthritis.

Brief Answer: You need orthopaedican consultaiton. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query again. Yes you must discuss with orthopedican for all this. You must discus with him, what I had already explained you previously. He would do your proper physical examination and advise you x-ray which I had advise your earlier. If he needed he would advise you some safer painkiller ointments, he may advise you steroid injection or P.R.P injection in the joint or if needed he may advise you some sort of surgery. He would also advise you splinting of wrist so that proper rest may be given to your wrist. You can also discus with him for taking muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside and glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate tablets. Do not hesitate to discus your problem with orthopaedician. I hope you have got your answer. Thanks. Dr.Singh.