Suggest treatment for persistent urine infection inspite of using antiobiotics

I'm having an issue with a very heavy menstrual cycle and a dull pain in my lower left side of my back. I recently went to urgentcare, told my doctor my symptoms and I was asked to give a urine sample. There was blood and signs of an infection in my urine. The doctor prescribed 3 days worth of ciprofloxacin (500mg) and phenazopyridine (200mg). I took the medication which began to work but it's all gone now and my symptoms are back. Should I contact this urgent care doctor & see if I can get more medication or should I have blood tests done? I'm really scared and concerned and I don't have a primary doctor just yet.
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get a Urine Culture and Senstivity Detailed Answer: Hi, I appreciate your concern. If i see such a patient in my clinic, I would like to rule out Urinary Tract Infection and Renal Calculi ( stone). Since your Urine Examination showed the presence of infection and your symptoms are persisting despite Antibiotics, I would advisce you to get Urine Culture and Senstivity . It will help in identifying the organism and guide regarding antibiotic. Meanwhile take lots of fluids and maintain good hydration.Hydration to accentuate unidirectional clearance of bacteriuria is recommended. You may require repeat course of antibiotics for 5-7 days depending upon the urine culture and senstivity. In case you are having dysuria( painful micturation), you can get symptomatic relief from a bladder analgesic, such as phenazopyridine, to be used for 1-2 days. Drinking cranberry juice (10 oz/day) or taking cranberry tablets may offer some benefit in reducing recurrent UTI . In case the symptoms persist , then you require Ultrasound Abdomen to rule out any calculi or pylonephritis. Hope it helps Dr. Kavita Paul
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for persistent urine infection inspite of using antiobiotics 23 hours later
Would you say that this infection is the reason for my currently heavy and prolonged menstrual cycle?
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 14 hours later
Brief Answer: It seems to be unrelated Detailed Answer: Hi, I feel that your heavy and prolonged periods are unrelated to your Urinary Tract Infection. Possible causes of excessive menstrual bleeding are Hormonal Imbalance, Uterine Fibroid, Pelvic inflammatory disease, Drugs like blood thinning drugs, problems with IUD etc. Dr Kavita Paul