Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi I am male aged 48 current weight is 86kg. I have been diagnosed with osteo arthritis in knee joints in form of reduced medial tibo femoral joint space with tibial spiking. MRI reveals no significant osteophte, no evidence of soft tissue ,normal outline ,density bones mech axis is deviated on both sides 2.5 on right and 3 cm on left in weight bearing X ray. My legs were little bowed from the child hood. I am taking Glucosmine, with Omega3 for the lat 45 days.Meanwhile I am walking and attending Physio therapist. dr syas cartllege is narrowed in one side, otherwise it is healthy for my age.I have very little or no pain. But my left leg is little deformed, but it is improved with Physio exercise in the last one month. I was overweight nearly 100 kg one year back and did almost 60 km running every week for the last one year.current weight is 86kg height is 172 cm Let me know what should I do now, at what stage of OA I am in now
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You may be in stage 2 or 3.Or mild variety Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX I have studied your case. According to your history and X ray finding you may be suffering from medial compartment osteoarthritis stage. You may be in stage 2 or 3.Or mild variety [early-mild-advanced]. Precaution to be taken Activity modifications-avoid squatting, avoid cross leg sitting on floor, and reduce stair climbing. Weight reduction is very important to prevent progression. Do daily exercises and stretches. Diet rich in calcium and vitaminD will help to reduce progression. Use knee brace for support to prevent further deformity. VISCOSUPPLEMENTATION: Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years If there is severe destruction of menisci then arthroscopic shaving can be done. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you are satisfied with answer do not forget to give rating to this answer. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis 18 hours later
Dear Sir, If I am in mild variety then my symptoms are as under. There is no pain very less discomfort, I am going to a physio to do knee strengtheing execrcise. I am able to walk atleast 6 to 7 km without much effort. Also taking Glucosmine chorodian. I would like to slow down the progress or halt the same. currently I am overweight by 12 kg. please sugest above stepts taken by me is enough , and how can I measure my progress. kind regards

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Explained below Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Yes measures taken by you are enough,follow my instruction given in above mentioned answer. Viscosupplement will help in early stage ,which may not be useful later. You can measure progress by pain relief,deformity correction, x ray. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you are satisfied with answer do not forget to give rating to this answer. Wishing you good health. Take care