Suggest treatment for degenerative disc disease and bulging disk

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I Have degenerative disc disease and a bulging disk and now a spinal fracture and in and around the L5 S1 discs and im on oxycontin 20mg twice a day and still no relief What would recommend
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. If your pain is severe, you can opt for epidural injections with steroid or local anaesthetic agent. If it is less severe, then, combination of medications (pregabalin capsules) and physiotherapy would help. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for degenerative disc disease and bulging disk 3 hours later
But I all ready have had the injections

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: If medications (pregabalin and gabapentin), physiotherapy and epidural injections do not help you, a surgery may be considered, however, I would like to see the MRI report. If possible, please upload the scan report. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for degenerative disc disease and bulging disk 49 minutes later
I had surgery to remove part of bone that was pinching my nerve to my right leg I had ct scan recently with they found fracture

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: If the fracture is stable (not displaced), it would heal on its own in 6-12 weeks. Only if the fracture is unstable, then, surgery may be required to stabilize that. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)