Suggest treatment for constipation with stomach cramps

Had diarrhea about five days ago and intense rumbling in my stomach. Since then I have been constipated and it hurts when I attempt to go to the bathroom. I finally did have a movement today but it wasn't heavy. Stool was relatively soft but I was in pain while doing it. Stomach is still rumbling pretty frequently and I have gas. I also feel continually dehydrated but am drinking lots if fluids.
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Stool softener with high fiber diet Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX I would advise a high fiber diet along with use of a stool softer(lactulose) to relieve the discomfort due to constipation.If you still feel the pain even when the stool is soft local pathology(anal fissure) has to be ruled out in consultation with your doctor/surgeon.Further rumbling and passing gas are due to altered bowel due to constipation.Continue having plenty of oral fluids which aids free bowel movement. I would like to know some more information to address your concerns better. Do you see any blood in stool? Do you see any mucus? Keep me posted.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for constipation with stomach cramps 53 minutes later
There was a little blood yesterday after some straining. No mucus. Also, my doctor said I did not have a fissure but my anus does hurt. He took blood to test for infection
Answered by Dr. Praveen 6 hours later
Brief Answer: stool routine and colonoscopy, if required Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing me back. I am glad that there is no fissure. However, you seem to have little blood after straining. In such a case, I would advise my patients to get a stool routine done. Also, it may be possible that it is initial stages of irritable bowel syndrome. Please follow my earlier suggestions, and take a high fiber diet. Stay away from stress as it can aggravate your symptoms. Do wait for the blood test report. If required, colonoscopy may be done in future.