Suggest treatment for congenital stenosis and the nerve root compression

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My name is XXXXXXX I'm a 37 year old female I'm 5"7 weight 312 I have congenital developmental cervical spinal stenosis 7mm c3-c5 I'm short of breath sharp pain shooting down my left shoulder lower back pain burning nucleus leakage l-5-s-1 three herniated disc in my neck bony spurs broad based annular effacement of the the cal sac c-4-5 disc protrudes 4mm beyond endplate margins indenting and flattening of ventral surface of the cord c-5-6 pragmatically to the left by 2-3mm coming into contact with the cord and potentially contacting the c-6 nerve root that's not done in Sept of 2013 now for XXXXXXX 7th of this year. Cervical kyphosis no degree given. C-4c-5 disc osteophyte complex with defacement of anterior thecal sac c-5-c-6 broad based disc osteophyte complex My neurosurgeon has suggested injections physical therapy and gabapentin for the permitted sign I experience on a daily bases for a year now just started the gabapentin two days ago. What are your thoughts or suggestions?
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Gabapentin will help. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. I have gone through the details given. Since you have a congenital stenosis and the nerve root compression is of a mild intensity the medical treatment should be tried first of all. You are on right medications. Just take them as directed by your Doctor and go for regular follow up. While there is no definite medication or treatment for nerve root compression, in addition to the medications you will have to change your lifestyle for excellent results. Vitamin D deficiency can aggravate the condition. Basic balanced nutrition and exercises are must for a trouble free life. Posture modifications can be adopted by speaking to experts which can help to continue your day to day activities Speak to your surgeon, if your symptoms don't subside, there are other various treatment options like 1.) Wearing a neck brace 2.) Physical Therapy 3.) Traction 4.) Steroid Injections 5.) Surgical Correction. Follow these lifestyle modifications, 1.) Apply heat or cold packs regularly. 2.) Take a hot shower everyday. 3.) Do regular physical therapy. 4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up. 5.) Avoid high calorie foods and eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and Green leafy vegetables. 6.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for congenital stenosis and the nerve root compression 8 minutes later
However I neglected to mention I'm allergic to 21 different foods most being vegetables and milk and milk products .
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get Vit D3 supplements. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. If you are allergic to milk and milk products then do get your Vitamin D3 levels evaluated and get appropriate supplements prescribed. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards