Feeling severe pain in back of neck. What should I do get this fixed?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My name is XXXXXXX Since many years, I feel severe pain in back of my neck. This pain is not constant. Initially started occurring in the morning just after waking up, and lasted only couple of days, frequency was few months. Now it is more frequent, severe pain lasts for longer and mild pain remains there for most of the time. I have seen doctors, they say it is muscle problem. What should I do get this fixed.
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Persistent pain in the neck that you are having seems to be due to military neck or cervical kyphosis with or without vitamin D deficiency. Sometimes it can be due to cervical spondolysis also which can aggravate the symptoms further. So get this possibility also ruled out.

A normal neck x-ray from the side (lateral) should have a “C” Curve in it. When you have a loss of this curve, it is known as a military neck. Most cases responds to anti-inflammatory drugs and cervical collars.

It is important to correct any posture imbalances that you may have, whether in a sitting posture or in a standing posture. It is also very important to make sure that the pillow you use under your head is the correct size and thickness for your body.

Avoid stretching of shoulders, lifting any heavy weights and add diets XXXXXXX in calcium, vitamins especially vitamin B 12 and vitamin D to daily routine. More severe cases may need steroid injections or surgical involvement especially when it is associated with degenerative disc disease. But this should be kept as last resort.

Physiotherapy and exercises also help to increase mobility in your cervical spine. This involves doing flexion, extension, lateral flexion and rotation exercises and should be done under a physiotherapist’s guidance.

Also get your vitamin D levels estimated and if they are less, then you may need vitamin D supplement sachets.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Feeling severe pain in back of neck. What should I do get this fixed? 1 hour later
Dr. Tayal,
Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have following questions in connection with my neck pain and your replies on the same;

1. You have suggested to take diets XXXXXXX in calcium, vitamins especially vitamin B 12 and vitamin D. Could you suggest some supplement for the same in the form of health drink or tables/capsules.

2. I am mother for 3 years old child, still feeding him milk. Is there any connection to my neck pain with breast feeding.

3. Should I immediately consult physiotherapist for flexion, extension, etc after getting X-Ray/tests done. Or first I should start taking calcium & vitamins and then if there is no improvement then go for physiotherapy.

4. Normally applying hot water pad followed by "Volini" gives some relief from pain. Occasionally I take "Myospaz forte" when pain becomes unbearable. Myospaz is not as effective as it was before (approx. 6 months from now). Please suggest better medication for relief from pain temporarily until i go through tests.

5. Is there any recommended device available for "military neck" so that I can do the exercise at home.

Best Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
For Vitamin D3 supplements, you can take calcitriol sachets once a week with milk. For Vitamin B 12 supplements, you can take Tab. Neurokind at night for at least one month. You can get these prescribed from your physician after a proper confirmation of diagnosis.
The continuous breast feeding for last three years is likely to make you deficient in calcium and Vitamin D3.
Going for a physiotherapy side by side is recommended for complete relief.
For better pain relief, you need to get muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician.
It is best to do the exercises under the guidance of a proficient physiotherapist. Do not try to them at home without learning them properly.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Feeling severe pain in back of neck. What should I do get this fixed? 17 hours later
Thanks once again for speedy and detailed reply.

One last question how long should I take the Vitamin D3 supplement (Calcitriol)?

Best Regards,
You can get your serum Vitamin D 3 levels evaluated and according to the deficiency, the supplementation is needed till the levels return back to normal.
Warm Regards.