Suggest treatment for brain tumor

My name is XXXXXXX Blystone I am a 55 year old female. I only had hyperthroism in the past. While doing an MRI to r/o graves dx they found a 2.7 x 1.5 olgodenroglioma grade 2. I had a neurosurgeon remove the tumor. It was a total resection. Dr Alxate wants me to have XRT to make sure all the tumor is gone. I have a radiation oncologist who was going to give me 40 tx but after seeing a ratiation oncoloigist for high dose radiation he recommended that I have 20 to 25 low dose radiation tx. My radiation oncologist is ok with this and my first treatment is on monday. I had to see a medical oncologist and he stated not to have the radiation it can cause long term problems and I should either have chemo by a pill or do nothing and just wait. Ki-67 is less than 1% and the fish study of chromosomes 1p and 19q deletion. Dr alzate who did the surgery wants radiation and I want as he feels it will cure me. I am now afraid as I was told this will cause long term damage and poss another tumor. No one is able to tell me what I should do around here. Will it hurt me to have just to the right frontal lobe 20 to 25 low dose treatments to make sure area is clear? Path stated postive for GFAP but neg for p53. I am a mother and grandmother and want the best care possible. Should I have the radiation treatments or chemo? I am a RN and no defecites and am returning to work Tuesday. I am onkeppra never had a seizure. I believe the treatment for radiation was 40 gry. Will this cause another tumor?It is to be low dose and for 20 to 25 treatment. Since my chromosome 1p and 19q show that the tumor will respond to chemo or radiation why not do somthing. That is why Dr Alzate wants radiation therapy but he was not sure of the dose or if I should have ONE OR TWO HIGH DOSE RADIATION TREATMENTS. Please help me.
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Brain tumor Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Yes it is a confusing situation for you as to what advice to follow. Truly speaking the surgical resection of brain tumor is never complete, though apparently neurosurgeon having removed all the tumor the residual disease always remains. Total removal means removal of much bigger portion of the brain which is not possible. Hence post surgery radiation is always the treatment of choice. If you are in a good Radiation therapy centre there are very advanced methods of delivering radiation like Conformal Radiation, IGRT, IMRT and Stereotactic Radiation therapy. These methods deliver minimal radiation to normal brain tissue and the fear you have about the post radiation side effects is minimal. Not taking radiation at this stage may subject you to second surgery in due course of time due to recurrence. Regarding the number of Radiation treatments it depends upon your Radiation Oncologist what modality of treatment he will choose. Hope your confusion in this regard is addressed. Truly, Dr. J. Ticku
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for brain tumor 35 minutes later
Many Doctors feel this is a curable. Do you feel the same. Do I have a chance of recovery with this kind of tumor? Tumor was an oligodendroglioma grade 2. GFAP postive, negative for P53, Ki-67 less than 1% and fish study showing chromosome 1p and 19P deletion. Many oncologist feel this is slow growing and could be considered benign. Do you agree. Which type of xrt would you give to a patient like me?
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Radiotherapy after surgery.. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX , Treatment of choice is Radiotherapy after Surgery. We consider survival in years. The chances of recovery are good after radiation and recurrence rate is minimal. So be optimistic and go ahead with the treatment. Truly, Dr. J. Ticku