Suggest treatment for anxiety with disturbed sleep and headache

A few months ago I lost my job after 18 years in the same company, I am feeling anxious and having trouble sleeping and concentrating. I also, get headaches(mild) I just recently found a new job.The job doesn't pay as much as the previous job
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Depression Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. You have mentioned that you have lost your job a few months ago. I suppose that the symptoms of Anxiety Disturbed Sleep Headache Difficulty in Concentration have also persisted since a few months. Any adverse event will lead to a bad mood, but it stays only a for a few days and is natural. How ever in your case the dysphoria has persisted for a few months, and now this cannot be considered as a normal reaction. The symptoms that you have stated suggest that you have depression at present which certainly needs management. There are two kinds of management possible. One is with usng medications like escitalopram or fluoxetine or mirtazapine. Off them fluoxetine is my personal choice and works well with depression due to life stressors. It helps in bringing life back to normal. The medications have to be continued for atleast 8-10 months. Also there is an option of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness. At the end, you have also stated that youhave hypothyrodism on medicines. It would be worth checking the levels of Thyroid ones as even hypothyroidism can lead to depression and has to be evaluated ones. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for anxiety with disturbed sleep and headache 7 minutes later
what is dysphoria?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Meaning Detailed Answer: Hello Sorry for use of a technical term, although we try our best to explain to the users with the least possible use of technical jargon. Dysphoria is a state of mind where in cause of psychological reasons a person feel unwell and sad, a feeling of emotional and mental discomfort. It more or less similar to what you are feeling at present. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy