Suggest treatment for abdominal bloating after quitting smoking

Hello. I have recently quit smoking (21 days ago). I've noticed severe bloating in my stomach since I have quit. I am exercising more, eating great and feel terrific. But the bloating is making me depressed as I know I am not gaining weight. Are you able to tell me why this happens and what I can do to stop it? I've looked up information online and realize a lot of people can relate to this problem once they quit smoking but no one has an answer as to what it is and how it can be stopped. Thanks for your help.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please, do not get too disturbed by this. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I will like to start by congratulating you on taking the bold step to quit smoking. This would earn great health benefits for you. I am so sorry to hear about this bloating after quitting smoking almost 3weeks ago. I really hate to know this is making you to feel depressed. Though there are no medications to address this common findings after quitting smoking, more knowledge on what the possible causes are and the various lifestyle modifications may help relief some of the terrible feelings associated with this. When we quit smoking, it goes that our eating habit would for sure change. This often results in eating more food that usual and possibly more salt as well. Also, tobacco increases the amount of calories used daily and this is absent in the immediate aftermath of quitting. All these put together and the new adaptation the body has to go through makes the feeling of being bloated more likely. The good news is that this often fades out as the time after quitting increases. Also, watching how much calories we take in can help reduce this feeling. Exercise would also be of great help. These are some of the not too friendly transitions we get after quitting but compared to the harmful effects of continuing to smoke, it is nothing. This should in no way make you to look back and more so because it will get better with time. I will also like that you measure and monitor your weight for future comparisons. This is because weight gain after smoking cessation is common and we should be able to catch any changes and act on before it gets any worse. I hope this information provides some information on how to go about this. I know it is not the magic pill you are looking for but unfortunately there is none. I wish you well as you go through this transition. I will also like that you read a little more on this trusted site. WWW.WWWW.WW I wish you well and once more, congratulations on taking this bold step. Please, feel free to ask for clarifications or more information if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.