Suggest the most reliable and effective option for contraception

My wife and I are in our mid/late thirties. We have two children.Both of us are healthy.
I have been using condoms as contraceptive all these years but we now want to dispense it as it takes away the pleasure during sex. Neither my wife nor myself are in a mood for any surgical procedures for contraception.
Please suggest us the most reliable and effective option for contraception. We do not want any more pregnancies now.
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Oral contraceptive pills are a good choice of contraception and can be taken at your age as it is not a criteria for pill intake.

If taken regularly they are quite effective in prevention of pregnancy.

Regarding the side effects, weight gain is mentioned as an issue but significant gain in weight has not been reported by woman and even some do not have any change at all.
Other side effects also depend on the individual and can vary.
There are various pills available these days as Femilon, Novelon, Ovral L, My pill.
Non hormonal contraceptives like Saheli- centchroman are also available which is safer and equally effective.
Your wife can also consider getting an intrauterine device inserted like multiload.
Consider visiting a Gynaecologist so that you can be prescribed the one after evaluation of your wife's age,height,weight,menstrual history etc.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.