Suggest some medicine for pimples and acne on face

I have pimples/Acne on my face from age of 14. Can please suggest me any medicine.
What are the main reasons for Acne.

Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are a number of different factors that influence the development of acne.Genetics play a key role.It develops as a result of interplay between 4 factors :(1) there is increased production of skin cells at the follicles resulting in blockage of the follicles (2)excess production of sebum-an oily substance secreted by glands in the skin (3)presence of a bacteria called propionbacterium acnes (4) inflammation

Treatment focuses on influencing these factors.Treatment can be topical or systemic.
Topical treatments include:(1) benzoyl peroxide which acts a peeling agent, clearing the pores and decreasing the amount of bacteria.There are different strengths and resistance to the medication has not been reported.Available as soaps ,washes,lotions, gels,creams.Can be used once or twice a day and can be combined with other agents.
(2)topical antibiotics-you can consider the use of topical antibiotic creams which would treat propionibacterium acnes.They also have anti-inflammatory properties.Clindamycin is commonly used and may be combined with benzoyl peroxide.
(3)topical retinoids are both comedolytic (breaks down the comedones which are the acne bumps and opens the pores) anti-inflammatory.They also reduce the excess skin cell production.The most common ones are adapalene,tazarotene,tretinoin. They are used once a day and can cause skin irritation.

Systemic treatments include:(1) antibiotics which are anti-inflammatory and antibacterial
(2) there are oral contraceptives that also help in acne, they reduce sebum production. The FDA has approved yaz, orthotri cyclen and estrostep for acne but most low dose contraceptives help acne and a doctor may not necessary stick to the above three.
(3)isotretinoin which is a systemic retinoid that decreases sebum production, anti-inflammatory and decreases the amount of bacteria.

You can consider speaking to your doctor for an effective oral contraceptive to help with the acne (if you are not presently trying to conceive).
Start with the antibiotic cream combined with the benzoyl peroxide.
You may or may not want to combine this with a short course of oral antibiotics.

You may want to consider visiting a dermatologist for advice and treatment.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions