Suggest remedy for pain,dizziness,numbness and congestion due to sunusitis while on Amox,Sudafed and nasanex?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi- I've had a sinus infection (sinusitis) for the last 3 weeks. At first, I thought it was the common cold. After a week, I went to a primary care who told me it was a sinus infection and perscribed 5 days of antibiotics and steroids. No improvements the following week, and I ended up in the ER after having the most sever headache of my life, facial/ sinus pressure, numbness in the left side of my face (mostly teeth/ lips)- and this happened 2x. The hospital DR's gave me a catscan and told me I had sinisitis and perscribed Amox, sudafed and nasanex. A week later, I feel like I'm getting worse and am currently experiencing the same pain and numbness and congestion came back. Problem is- it's 7am on a Saturday, and I can't find any ENT's in my area that are open today. I can't go back to the hospital bc they did nothing but a cat scan and told me to find an ENT if I'm not better soon. Help- I am so dizzy, it's difficult to breathe, I haven't been able to sleep, and I unfortunately recently lost my job so don't have health insurance and can't go back to the hospital.
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: some changes required Detailed Answer: Hi Mam, I have gone through your query and your problem. You are on the right treatment (prescribed Amox, sudafed and nasanex) but I personally suggests some changes required during your acute stage such as 1. Latest systemic nasal decongestant combination such as Fexofenadine and Montelukast tablet once a day. 2. Local nasal decongestant such as oxymetazoline/xylometazoline nasal drops three drops three times a day. 3. Mild pain killer. 4. Steam inhalation five times a day. 5. Proper antibiotic if needed (when nasal discharge is thick and not white). Consult the ENT specialist as early as possible for better diagnosis and management. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Follow-up: Suggest remedy for pain,dizziness,numbness and congestion due to sunusitis while on Amox,Sudafed and nasanex? 17 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. What worries me is that i have to travel (fly) on monday morning for an important job I am taking and wonder if that will worsen my condition? Also- I have read a lot about the infection traveling to the brain and worry when my headaches get bad. And, the DR told me to only use the nasonex for 3 days- should i continue for a few more days? Lastly, can all of your suggestions., including nasal decongestants be mixed with Amox? Thank you so much.

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Continue for few more days. Detailed Answer: Hi Mam, I have gone through your follow up query. There is no need to worry so much, you may continue nasonex for few more days and also include nasal decongestant with Amox. You are right that Infection may travel in the brain but only when it is left untreated for several days. Wish you good health

Follow-up: Suggest remedy for pain,dizziness,numbness and congestion due to sunusitis while on Amox,Sudafed and nasanex? 5 hours later
What can i do when i get the numbing sensation in my teeth? Its happening again right now.

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Avoid cold drinks,cold water if you have Detailed Answer: Hi Mam, I have gone through your follow up query. For this I only suggest to you that You avoid cold drinks, cold water, ice creams if you have. After this also present then better to consult the dentist. Wish you good health

Follow-up: Suggest remedy for pain,dizziness,numbness and congestion due to sunusitis while on Amox,Sudafed and nasanex? 8 minutes later
Thank you so much for all of your help. I'm sorry to ask so many questions. Do you suggest I do not fly with this sinus infection? And, if antibiotics haven't been working with decongestants, is the next option surgery? Or, are there other medicines that can treat viral sinus infection?

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 6 hours later
Brief Answer: You can fly. Detailed Answer: Hi Mam, I have gone through your query. I suggest that you can fly in this condition. If antibiotic is not working with decongestants then you may go for proper diagnosis and management before surgery. Viral sinus infection is only medically treated no need of surgery but for bacterial sinus infection surgery may be needed if medical treatment is ineffective. Wish you good health