Coughing, hoarse voice, chest congestion, have sinusitis and underactive thyroid. Recommendations?

I am a 33 year old female and over a week ago I developed a cold (I think) where I had a runny nose and general malaise . I did not have a fever but I did develop a nagging cough . Presently I feel as if something ( mucus maybe) is stuck in the centre of my chest, it feels scratchy sometimes to the point where it feels irritable and I cough easily. I try to clear my chest by coughing now and again but nothing comes up. During the night I cough often and I have had a hoarse voice since two days after I started experiencing cold symptoms. I do suffer from sinusitis and someone explained to me that most likely I would have developed a viral sinus infection and need to start working with sinus medication because she experienced the same cold symptoms a few weeks ago herself. I am highly distrustful of medications because I had bad experiences in the past with antibiotics for tonsilitis and ear nose and throat infection. I currently have an underactive thyroid as well. My nasal passages do feel blocked especially in the morning but should I just treat this as a sinus infection and if so what do you recommend?
Asked On : Sun, 25 Mar 2012