Suggest remedy for headache and cold

I have a cold. When i cough, I experience an intense pain behind my right eye. It lasts for a good two minutes. I know that coughing helps remove mucous, but is there anything I can do to minimize the head pain. Thanks YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Decongestant and analgesic Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for the query. It may be that your sinuses are inflammed and filled with mucus, which creates pain every time you have sudden increase in pressure or vibration, such as sneezing or coughing. I would advise the use of a decongestant, such as pseudoephedrine extended release every 12 hours, along with nasal saline sprays and naproxen every 12 hours as well for pain and inflammation. Hope that is helpful, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN