Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest over the counter medication to treat urinary retention or decreased urine flow and output?

General Surgeon
Question
is there an over the counter medication to take to treat urinary retention or decreased urine flow and output?
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will take some time to get into normalcy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I read your medical history.

As you had foley's catheter for 29 days after surgery and was removed 2 days ago, it will take some time to urinary bladder to function normally.

If there is no block in the kidneys or ureters, bladder will receive urine from then. Once it is full, the impulses from the brain will stimulate the bladder for emptying. As you had foley's catheter for prolonged period, this system was not working. It will take some time to brain to work as before.

I ask my patients to go to bathroom and open the tap and pour some water over the feet which will stimulate the bladder for emptying. It works very well.

I am sorry to say that there are no medicines over the counter to stimulate bladder.
It is XXXXXXX to take medicines when there is decrease urine flow and output. You may go into renal failure.
It is better to relax and leave it to nature to heal.

Practice yoga. Nothing to worry. You will be alright
Wish you speedy recovery