Suggest mild opiod for pain relief

Addiction Medicine Specialist
i have been taking 20 mg of percocet 6 xs a day. The ups and downs are making me crazy. I have treied oxycontin which gave me unbearable tried fentanyl patches that made me exttremely ill. I would like an extended release opiod that could be gradually titrated down and then off of them completely. nothing stronger!! the casue for the pain has been taken care of and I just need to get off this as easily as possible. Health still not 100 percent but better. any suggestions.....i was looking at methadone but it scares me. i do not want to get dependant on a stronger opiod.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Try hydrocodone. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Since you need a longer acting opioid with which is not too strong, then in my opinion, you can try Hydrocodone which is longer acting than Oxycodone which is what you were taking in Percocet and Oxycontin. It is available in combination with acetaminophen as Vicodin. I would recommend that you first try the lowest dose available and hike up as necessary to assess what your daily requirement is. Tramadol is another opioid analgesic which is longer acting than oxycodone and will prevent the ups and downs. It is a weak opioid and has a low risk of dependence. You can try this if Vicodin does not suit you. I hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry