Suggest how to improve metabolism rate causing abdominal pain and gas formation

It seems that in last few months my metabolism rate has reduced a lot. Even with limited intake, i face problems of abdominal bloating and excessive gas formation. Do I need to change my eating habits (if yes what)or any medical attention is required.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Prefer to follow a strict diet... Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, a low body metabolism secondary to low thyroid can cause digestive symptoms such as yours. If you have been putting weight and intolerant to cold temperature, please get your thyroid hormones checked. That being said, abdominal bloating may be related to dyspepsis, acid peptic disease/GERD, irritable bowel and other intestinal issues. I would suggest you to use antacids and proton pump inhibitor drugs for couple of weeks. Use a low spice and low fat diet. Eat at regular intervals. Add lots of fruits and vegetables. You should also start physical exercise to aid the digestive functions. If symptoms don't resolve with the aforementioned treatment, you should consult a doctor who can order for liver functions, abdominal scan and endoscopy to rule out other causes. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards