Suggest calcium supplement for a new born baby

My baby boy is 7 weeks 5 days old. His doctor has advised to give him 5 ml of Calcium syrub (Any calcium syrub which is available in market and 2.5 ml twice daily). Could you please prescribe a name of the syrup please. My second question is, my baby was 2.97 kg at birth. And his current weight is 2.9 kg. His weight gain is pretty slow. I am breastfeeding the baby currently. shall i start to provide him top up milk. Which brand should i use. and what should be the frequency and quantity. Please help me
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. I will suggest calcium supplement like : syp osteocalcium. Yes weight gain is slow but sometimes there is error in taking weight as well. In case baby is active and passing adequate urine there is nothing to worry. I recommend exclusive breastfeeding till 6months of age. Give feeding for 15to 20 min at one time and give feeding 2hourly. Empty one breast at one time as breast milk which is fed during end is known as hind milk and is rich in fat which helps in gaining weight. I suggest you to take adequate diet so that milk production is adequate. In case supplement is required formula like nan pro can be given with spoon and katori . Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any further question. Wishing your baby good health. God bless....
Follow-up: Suggest calcium supplement for a new born baby 9 hours later
If i need to start formula, please let me know what should be the quantity and frequency? thanks
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks for your followup. If you want to start formula milk give initally 80to 100ml 2 to 3 times a day and in between continue with breastmilk. Gradually increase amount to 120 after 2weeks. Hope this helps. Take care.