Suffering with stomach aches, bloating. Told to be IBS or Lactose intolerant but diet change hasn't helped. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have been suffering with stomach aches for more than a year but lately it seems to be more frequent. I get sharp pains in my side and feel bloated all of the time. I have seen a doc many times and they always say it's IBS or lactose intolerance but changing my diet hasn't helped. I feel sick after eating sometimes and the doctor won't send me for an allergy test.
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Peptic Ulcer
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Food allergy would not be manifested with sharp pain. it would be more likely crampy pain assoicated with bloating, diarrhea and nausea.But,however i dont see a reason why you wouldnt have test. You should insist on it or find someone who does it without prescription.
IBS is manifested with episodes of constipation and diarrhea and there is usually some psychosomatic cause.
YOur symptoms may indicate gastritis, GERD or hiatal hernia which can start at your age but it should be evaluated by gastroscopy. So ask your doctor about this. Till that, avoid food that triggers your symptoms such as coffee,alcohol, spicy food, fried food, fats, food that causes bloating. Also, eat more frequently but smaller meals and eat milk products with probiotics, fruit, vegetables and mentha tea.
Unfortunately there is no another way to evaluate stomach beside gastroscopy so if your symptoms persist on these dietary changes you should do it. WIsh you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: Suffering with stomach aches, bloating. Told to be IBS or Lactose intolerant but diet change hasn't helped. Suggest? 6 hours later
I have had an ultrasound would that not have shown something or would a gastroscope show something different? I was sent for one but couldn't do it as it made me gag too much.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Ultrasound isn't good for stomach and bowel can visualize only liver,gallbladder and other solid organs.
if gastroscopy couldn't be done you can consider barium swallow test which is less invasive and it may reveal stomach patology. But I suggest to try with diet and antiacid medicines first for 2 months. If there is no improvement,you need further investigation.