Suffering with iga nephropathy. How will this affect my sexual life?

Excellent

Nephrologist
Question
in my kidney biopsy report i learnt that I am suffering with iga nephropathy. my age is 33, i want to know how this going to effect my sex life

PFA my kidney biopsy reports, i am already undergoing medication, my Q is is it going to slow down any way, going forward how this problem going to effect me like is it require kidney dialysis/ transplantation or we can stop it effecting my kidneys some how

is it possible to do my daily activities by having this ?? by following strict diet and medication.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 4 hours later

Your GFR is 23 ml as per reports. At this level of kidney function you can have sexual dysfunction in the form of impotence or infertility.

The disease is generally a progressive disease with ultimately need of dialysis or kidney transplant. But it all depends how progressive is your disease. Some patients may not have any worsening even over 10years. So you should not be disheartened. You should follow advice of your nephrologist regarding conservative management of the disease.

You should continue your daily working as normal. Just be on regular follow up.

In case of any query please write in.

Thank you

Follow-up: Suffering with iga nephropathy. How will this affect my sexual life? 13 hours later
Hi Doctor thanks for the reply,
Right now I am using following medicines
•     Omnacortil 40 mg - 2 tablets (40mg+40mg) alternate day
•     Maxepa Nefro Mega – 2 tablets in the morning, 2 tablets in the evening daily
•     Omez – D – 1 tablet in the morning, 1 tablet in the evening before food daily
•     Concor – AM – 1 tablet in the morning daily
•     Olmezest – 1 tablet in the evening daily
Do I need to take any other medicine along with above medicines??? What are the side effects of the above medicines?
My blood Creatinine is 1.9 before starting the medication; all the reports enclosed are taken before my medication started.
My body is quite normal; IGA-N symptoms are not visible. My legs are not swollen, no blood in urine or nothing else no headaches, but two weeks back suddenly my BP spiked to 170/130. My doc asked for above reports and we came to know that I am suffering with IGA Nephropathy.
As you said if it is a progressive disease, can’t we stop it? If kidney transplantation is done is there any chance disease will affect the new kidney???
Please help me with next steps that I have to take to keep my kidneys in working condition, based on my current situation how much time my kidneys can survive.
Also please advise with diet that I need to follow at-least with the food that I should not be taking. Any DO NOTS for me, please advice.
With all the hope in you and writing this mail seeking your help.
One more Question do I need to drink more water ?

Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 1 hour later
Let me answer your queries one by one:

1. Do I need to take any other medicine along with above medicines???
Ans: NO

2. What are the side effects of the above medicines?
Ans: All your medications are well tolerated by most patients. However I suggest you to
- Just keep a regular check on your serum creatinine and serum potassium every 15 days for 2 times then monthly; blood sugar and blood pressure check at every doctor visit (once a month).
- Limit use of omnacortil till 2 to 3 month only in these doses as per guidance of your nephrologist.

IGA-N symptoms are not visible. It may not have any symptoms except for urine protein and blood pressure.

3. As you said if it is a progressive disease, can’t we stop it?
Ans: Your treatment is being done for the same. There are good chance that the progression can be limited by the above.

4. If kidney transplantation is done is there any chance disease will affect the new kidney???
Ans: Don't go so far yet. You are not in need of transplant in any near future.

5. Please help me with next steps that I have to take to keep my kidneys in working condition,
Ans: Avoid juices and non veg in Diet, comply with doctor advice.

6. Based on my current situation how much time my kidneys can survive.
Ans: 10% of patients will lose there kidneys over 10 years in this disease.

7. Any DO NOTS for me, please advice.
Ans: Please do not take any 'desi-ayurvedic' preparations and avoid painkiller medicines. Use paracetamol for pain if required.

My advice to you is - Do not stop your life. You can lead a normal life while on treatment.

Hope I have answered all your queries. I will be pleased to answer any other queries.

Follow-up: Suffering with iga nephropathy. How will this affect my sexual life? 25 hours later

Thanks for your humble advice. Your words really boosted my energy levels.
Sir, I would like to XXXXXXX you in person and take an opinion on my current situation or please advice with best doctor. I am currently residing in Hyderabad and location is not a constraint.

Few more queries:
1) Do u suggest too much intake of water for me or suggest certain limit per day?
2) Based on current report, can u tell me the percent of damage on my kidneys?

Thanks and Best regards

Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 15 minutes later

I am based at Delhi.

My information is in my profile on this website.

WWW.WWWW.WW
Liquids - total should be between 1 to 1.5 Liter /day.

Do not go into percentage function; just follow serum creatinine levels.

Bye.