Suffering through headaches and SLE. Had acupuncture. Developed painful lump. Prescribed with anitryptilin

I have accupuncture to help my headaches and SLE and went on friday where she did some in the base of my skull to release the muscle tension. Since then i have developed a painful lump which has decreased in size and migraine after migraine, the pain stemming from that area, over into my left eye. Never felt so ill. After a 3rd day of migraines, i went to the emergency out of hours team of GP's and they said the migraine had got out of control and prescribed me 10mg of anitryptilin to numb the pain and make me sleep and said the lump could be a cyst which is pressing on the nerve endings and sparking the migraines and that they would write to my GP and i had to go tomorrow and get a referral for urgent scans. I didn't mention to them the acupuncture and i feel a bit scared that i should have. Is it okay to wait until tomorrow. I Feel a lot better since i woke up but am anxious. XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 4 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Before responding to your question, Let me tell you one thing which I see in my neurology practice. These types of maneuver can even result in brain stroke (particularly sudden movement in neck can cause dissection of some blood vessels in the neck in susceptible individuals).

You should get the MRI scan at the earliest. Without examination it is difficult for me to say how earliest the scan needs to be done. If you have migraine consult a local neurologist and take medications s per his advice. Acupuncture may not help much

Hope this helps
Best wishes