Suffering from yellow fever, typhoid and meningitus jabs. Have elevated GT levels of 76. Is this dangerous?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hello, I have elevated GT levels of 76. Is this dangerous? I have had 3 physicals since march with blood work and this was the first one that was elevated. I have just had 3 days before my blood work my yellow fever, MMR,thyphoid, tetanus/diptheria, and meningitus jabs. I also have been taking high protien (40 grams per shake) shakes per day as I exercise 6 days per week. I drink about 14 ounces of spirit per week and probably 2 pints of beer also. Always before dinner
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Please do not panic as your GGT levels are only moderately increased (76), the usual normal range being 0-50.If your other liver function tests like Ast, Alt etc are normal then there is a possibility of this being a temporary raise .
Even small amounts of alcohol within 24 hours of your GGT test may cause a temporary increase in the GGT. If this occurs, your doctor may want to repeat the test. Prescription medications and smoking may also increase the levels.
Considering you are a health conscious individual you can cut out some starchy food or sugar from your diet, minimize or abstain from alcohol ,increase the intake of essentialfatty acids ( omega fatty acids)and get a retest after a month . I think it should come back as normal then , if not then you should consult your doctor for a thorough evaluation to rule out any insidious liver disorder like gallstone or fatty liver.
As of now it is not worrisome at all and if you are asymptomatic then nothing needs to be done .
Hope I have answered your query .
I'll be available for any follow up queries.