Suffering from stage 4 colon cancer and liver disease. Survival chances?

My husband was told today @ his oncologist (stage 4 colon cancer) that he has a liver disease. What are we looking @ as far as treatment an life expectancy
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Radhika 55 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.

I am sorry to hear that your husband is suffering from Stage 4 colon cancer with Liver disease.

As you know, Stage 4 is the most advanced colon cancer stage. In general, in stage 4 colon cancer has spread to nearby lymph nodes and other parts/organs of the body. Common destinations include the liver and the lungs. Your oncologist might be telling it has spread to the liver or he might be having a liver disease not related to colon cancer.

The treatment for stage 4 colon cancer may require a surgical resection, chemotherapy and/or radiation.

Prognosis varies depending on lymph node involvement, extent of tumor spread (e.g., the liver, lungs, ovaries, or stomach), and how it's attached.

For his survival, Stage of disease is a major factor.

In general, approximately 8-15% of people with stage 4 colon cancer survive five years after their diagnosis. Your oncologist is will give you more clear picture, as he has evaluated him.

If he is able to withstand the treatment procedure he will be able to make it in 8 to 15 % bracket of people who survive it. Positive approach is important.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Suffering from stage 4 colon cancer and liver disease. Survival chances? 2 hours later
We have known about the cancer for almost 2 years he has been taking chemo an has had the surgery an has a colostomy. Im wondering about the liver disease what are the prognosis on it. She said his liver function levels are up an that he is jaundice. I wanna know how this is going to affect his treatment and if it is gonna be fatal in a quick way. I need to know these answers in clear englsh so I can prepare my self as well as my children.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 59 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

To help you better, I would like to refer your query to an oncologist. This will help you and your family understand the situation better.
We have created a separate query for you and this thread would be answered by an oncologist.

Appreciate your patience.