Suffering from snoring and feeling drowsy. How to find out the cause?

ENT Specialist
Hello Doctor,
Though I have always snored during my sleep, of late I have been snoring very loudly to the point that my spouse's sleep is getting disturbed severely. Over the past six months, I have also been feeling drowsy during the day and don't feel refreshed when I wake up.
When I feel my septum with my finger, I can see that it is deviated quite a bit. Can this be causing my snoring? Can you suggest/recommend what should I do to get my snoring problem diagnosed?

Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 8 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

First of all, I would like to reassure you, that this is a very simple problem and with appropriate intervention it can be take care of.

You are suffering from a condition called ‘Snoring & Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome’ (OSAS). Studies have shown that up to 50% of adults snore. OSAS occurs when there are repeated episodes of complete or partial blockage of the upper airway during sleep. Snoring is sometimes the only sign that a patient has or is developing sleep apnea. This can have various side effects on body and later becomes dangerous/life-threatening.

Most common causes for OSAS are:
1. Obesity – it is a major risk factor for sleep apnea because, the excessive body fat can place strain on the muscles in the throat and push the tongue back into the throat.
2. Narrow airways in the upper respiratory tract - the condition is also more common among people who have smaller airways in their nose, throat, or mouth.
3. Wrong posture during sleep.

Your problem has to be managed meticulously.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water
2. Sleep in the semi-recumbent position, instead of sleeping on the back
3. Consult a good ENT specialist for a complete examination of the nose and throat
4. Exercise regularly, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables; avoid coffee/tea/alcohol/smoking/greasy food

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon