Suffering from sever headache, pain in joints, fingers and elbow. What treatment should be done?

My wife is suffering from sever headache associated with pain in joints, mainly fingers and elbow.
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

If your wife has an history of recent viral infection then such an presentation is normal and self limiting.It happens due to antibodies (produced in response to virus) attacking on the self joints and muscles. Tab Motrin taken twice daily for three days after food would provide relief and help recover soon.

Also to consider other possibilities.If the pain in the joints is for more than 2 weeks. Involvement of small joints is most commonly seen in condition called Osteoarthritis . It comprises a milder degree of degradation of joints, including articular cartilage and subchondral bone in the initial stages.

Also the phase reactants released in this illness can cause other symptoms like muscle pain , headache, fever etc.

A dose of Paracetamol and Aceclofenac combination would relieve of pain,The main management depends on the extent of the joint involvement.

A visit to Orthopedician would be essential, there may be a need for an X XXXXXXX to asses the joint involvement.

Its a well treated condition if diagnosed and treated early.

Wish you good health.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

You have just described your condition. I would appreciate if you ask the question which needs to be answered so that I can help you.

Still what I have perceived as a problem is pain in joints and fingers.

Your wife is already having migraine and I hope sodium valproate is for migraine prophylaxis and not for epilepsy.

Sodium valproate if used for long term; then one of it's side effect is decreased bone mineral density and osteoporosis.
As your wife is 40 yrs; already prone for osteoporosis again will suffer from it, if valproate is continued.

I would recommend to change migraine prophylaxis medication.

Again joint pain could be start of arthritis ; elaborate further your question and expected help.
Awaiting your reply.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.