Suffering from psychosis related to sleep deprivation. Taking ameliorate. Any advice?

HI, I'm afraid I'm suffering psychosis related to extreme sleep deprivation / concomitant amphetamine use
How do I ameliorate the effects and still carry out activities in a normal manner
IS this feasible?
Should I take anxiolytic medication?
So I have to wait in unreality because of possible legal ramifications associated with reliance on the answer?

Can I receive some
, general advice, not from a medical perspective, but based on if this situation can resolve long enough for me to carry out important activities. obviously getting adequate sleep is the corect answer. This is frustrating.
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Gourav Monga 4 hours later

Thanks for your query

I can understand what you are going through and how distressing it can be to go through such difficult times. As a psychiatrist, I am able to empathize with you.

Don’t worry and relax. You can carry out your routine activities definitely with proper management.
Let me tell you that Amphetamines can cause “Paranoid Schizophrenia like picture” which consists of psychotic symptoms such as delusions and hallucinations. But this needs detailed evaluation. So tell me what kind of symptoms you are experiencing?
Amphetamines can also cause Insomnia (decreased sleep), anxiety, tachycardia, hypertension, weight loss, formication etc. Excessive sleep deprivation could be the result of amphetamine use which again exacerbate psychosis.
The first thing you have to do is to stop intake of amphetamines immediately. In case of psychotic symptoms, anti-psychotic drugs are required like First Generation Antipsychotics (FGAs- Haloperidol, Trifluperazine, Chlorpromazine etc), Second Generation Antipsychotics (SGAs-Olanzapine, Risperidone, Clozapine, Quetiapine etc) or newer antipsychotics like aripiprazole.
For sleep problems, sedative hypnotics like benzodiazepines can be tried like clonazepam, lorazepam, nitrazepam etc.
Along with pharmacological treatment, psychotherapy and some relaxation exercises like XXXXXXX breathing, progressive muscle relaxation etc could also be of help to ameliorate anxiety symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. Follow up questions are welcomed.
Dr. Gourav Monga