Suffering from pain and stiffness in knee. Had reactive arthritis. Lost weight. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Doctor,

I am a 27 yr old recently married woman. I have been suffering from pain and stiffness in my left knee for a month now along with fluctuation fever for over a month now. My family doctor advised a blood test in which I found that my ESR is 125. My doctor has put me on Ceftriaxone injections for at least 3 days, once daily. I suffered from reactive arthritis when I was 21, which was triggered due to a food poisoning which I suffered then. Kindly advise. Is there anything else needed? My height is 167 cm and my weight before the illness was 84 kg, but I have lost weight and currently weigh 75 kg and I am still losing. I am on a balanced diet of less fat and more roughage and XXXXXXX vegetables and fruits.

Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
The fluctuating fever with pain in the knee and a raised ESR is suggestive of an ongoing infection. This can be due to a bacterial infection or a tubercular infection. Detailed blood tests and investigations like MRI scan of the knee joint are needed to find out the type of infection that you are having so that specific treatment can be started early.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.