Suffering from mucus and sore throat. Using post nasal drip. Why is there a red swollen area in throat?

ENT Specialist
I am suffering from loads of mucus and a sore throat, I have post nasal drip but have noticed a red swollen area at the back of my throat, should I be worried
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 36 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Your chronic post nasal drip must signify a stagnation and thickening of nasal secretions or an excess production due to some chronic irritation or inflammatory process, usually due to a deviated nasal septum, hypertrophied turbinates and also some problem in the sinuses. The source of the mucus is the nasal cavity and sinuses, which have a large XXXXXXX surface area and can produce a large amount of mucus. This post nasal drip irritates and infects the throat.

2. You need to get an ENT Specialist to examine your nose and throat, sometimes with a videolaryngoscope. A red swollen area at the back of the throat may be granular pharyngitis. A throat swab may be taken for culture and antibiotic sensitivity. A plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) and routine blood tests may be advised.

3. This is not something that you can always treat on your own. You may require broad spectrum antibiotics, anti inflammatory medication, anti-allergics, decongestants, mucolytics steroid nasal sprays, medicated gargles and steam inhalation. This should be done under medical supervision.

4. A Post Nasal drip also infects the throat and oral cavity and may increase acidity and acid reflux. Hence there may be a vicious cycle which has to be disrupted by medication. However this should be under medical supervision after your test results.

5. You may share any investigations, such as clinical and operative notes, Sinus CT scan images for further treatment options.

I must emphasize that this is a common treatable problem and not a cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.