Suffering from lower back pain, abdominal pain, leg pain and diarrhea. Cause and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been suffering from lower back pain and abdominal pain for the last 5 months which feels like bad period pain. I now have what I believe is sciatica i get pain in my right cheek bottom which goes into my thigh. knee and calf its like a strain feeling in my whole leg which I have had for a week now and its not getting any better. I can not stretch my leg properly in bed and standing long periods it aches alot the leg and my bottom and my back and abdominal area EVEN SITTING DOWN IS HARD. I feel like my leg is week at times. I am experience diahrea which I thought was gastro.
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The symptoms you are having are likely to be due to a spinal cord. You need to consult an orthopedician who after an examination will order tests like MRI of spine to find the extent of damage you have suffered.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Suffering from lower back pain, abdominal pain, leg pain and diarrhea. Cause and cure? 2 hours later
Can this lead to problems down the track with paralaysis if nothing id done about it? I was a nurse assistant in a nursing home 6 months ago and only just gave it up in October as the pain was to much when rolling residents etc.. Could I have sustained this through nursing? Is surgery involved?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the problem kept on increasing, it may lead to paralysis or loss of bladder or bowel control in extreme cases. It usually happens due to bad posture or lifting heavy weights.
Surgery is the last resort in resistant cases. First you need to confirm the diagnosis after an examination and proper investigations.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.