Suffering from lower back pain. Is there any connection between gastric problem and back pain?

Hi, I am suffering from lower back pain from the past two days. I have a history of back pain in the same area lower back left side of the spine which I get once in six months or so. Earlier around in 2004 I had got terrible pain when bending to brush teeth in the night and this was treated as Lumbago, the pain was too severe. After that I had taken Hoemoepathic treatment for about 2 years and the pain was less frequent. I am allergic to some food like Milk powder, brown bred, Tea etc which I avoid. I always adopt a correct posture. I have noticed that the back pain is triggered by some food which does not agree with me (causing a catch due to gas formation) and then lasts for 2 to 3 days. I would like to know if there is any connection with the gastric problem and this back pain and the permanent solution for the back problem
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: You may have prolapsed intervertebral disc Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Gas formation may cause back pain but there will be predominantly gastric discomfort. What I feel is you may have prolapse of inter-vertebral disc ( a cushion between two vertebral bones) causing pressure on spinal cord and nerve roots. You must go for MRI scan of dorso-lumbar spine to get your condition diagnosed. Meanwhile you should take a hard bed rest, may take some muscle relaxant and analgesics. Never lift a weight with forward bending as it exacerbates the condition The treatment with long term effect is back extension exercises which you need to learn from a physiotherapist and do it at home. When the diseases is in grade 3 or 4, then corrective surgery may be required. Hopefully answered your query.....Please feel free to ask in follow ups Best wishes
Follow-up: Suffering from lower back pain. Is there any connection between gastric problem and back pain? 16 hours later
Hello Doctor, Thanks for your reply. I would like to know some online link or resource for the back extension exercise that you have mentioned, and also if it can be done when the backache is present.
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: learn under supervision of physiotherapist Detailed Answer: WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW Yes definitely can be done when backache is present.....but will be better if done under supervision of physiotherapist.... Best wishes
Follow-up: Suffering from lower back pain. Is there any connection between gastric problem and back pain? 2 days later
Hello Doctor, I would like to know regarding MRI whether it has to be done when the pain is present or can be done later and the approximate cost for MRI in India.
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be done anytime Detailed Answer: Again thanks for follow up. It can be done anytime both during the pain and later on. It costs around 3500-5500 INR depending on hospital set up..... Best wishes