Suffering from lower abdominal pain. Losing weight. What is the problem and the treatment?

Hello Doctor,

This is a serious and a complex case of my elder sister who is sufferring from severe lower abdomen pain. She receives this pain every month for about 5-6 days and during that that time she is unable to eat, drink water, or digest any kind of medicine due to which there is drastic weight loss and drips has to be given to her everytime. Her pain is unbearable and we have tried almost every best medication / doctors here. But once this pain cycle is over, she is back to normal and is perfectly allright.
Consulted doctors: General physician, Gastro esp., liver, gyno.
Tests already done: MRI, Stones, endoscopy, gastro test, gyno tests-ALL NORMAL

This is so frustuating for a patient to go through the same pain everytime and this is happeing now from almost more than a year. None of the medical help has been of any help and NO DOCTOR IS ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THE ROOT CAUSE. I was wondering if medical science can fail at some point and is beyond its scope of understanding.
I really need help and I want to save her life. PLEASE HELP!
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 47 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us

As your sister is having history of epilepsy , the pain can be due to anxiety and stress.

Other causes can be amebiasis or pelvic inflammatory disease which sometimes go unnoticed by the doctors.

Tell her not to take stress , change in lifestyle , diet change, more of activity with yoga and meditation are going to help her a lot.

Good luck
Follow-up: Suffering from lower abdominal pain. Losing weight. What is the problem and the treatment? 24 minutes later
Thanks doctor.

However as i already mentioned she receives this pain every month and otherwise she is healthy. We have tried changing her surroundings, environment as that might help, but even then pain. So I do not think that stress can be a real cause. However for other probable causes amebiasis or pelvic inflammatory disease, Whom do you think we can approach? We are feeling helpless at this time. Everytime doctors ask for new tests, re-test and new medicine experiments with no results frusttuates her.
Doctors do not take this seriously as she is just ANOTHER patient like many others

I wish anyone could help

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later

Cyclical pain can be due to dysmenorrhoea , endometriosis or PID.

If you can attach her ultrasound reports I can guide you better.

Till then she can take antispasmodics like meftal spas under doctor's guidance and prescription.

Hot fomentation on abdomen can be tried.

Best wishes