Suffering from low back pain and gastric issue. Unable to sleep. Suggest the medication, diet and exercise to get rid of the problem?

Hi i am suffering from low back pain and gastric issue. I think just because of gastric issues back pain is too heavy and not able to sleep properly in nights. Please suggest me medicine, exercises and diet to get rid of those.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Back pain and gastritis may or may not be related.

Detailed Answer:

Back ache and gastritis may or may not be related. I would start proton pump inhibitor like rabeprazole 40mg once a day before breakfast for couple of weeks and see if they improve your quality of life. In addition I would also recommend you to follow a strict life style containing regular exercise, regular meals, low spice diet, no smoking/alcohol.

If there is no much relief after 2 weeks course of rabeprazole, it would be better to investigate further. You should be referred to a gastroenterologist who can plan for upper GI endoscopy, ultrasound abdomen and other battery of test to isolate the cause of pain.
It would also be better to exclude other cause of low back ache along with investigations for gastritis.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.