Suffering from low back pain. Scan showed functional cyst. Suggestions

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doc, For last 8 months i am suffering from lower back ache which goes via hips ,legs to smallest finger, First it happened in August then i showed it to a doc who suggested flexon as pain reliever and suggested its just needs little posture change and nothing else. It did had a little positive impact and i had no pain for 1/2 months. But it reoccured this time i thought it could be a gync problem so showed it to a gync and got USG for whole abdomain done, which showed presence of a functional cyst, the gync said the pain is becuase of cyst and suggested medication in next few months cyst went away in normal periods but now again for last 20 days i am having pain it starts from left hand side neck and goes till smallest finger , i feel weekness in entire left hand side of the body. This time again i have showed to gync, orthopedic got entire basic health chk up (ECG,USG, Xray chest and back etc) and all parameters are normal. I don't think doctors are getting any idea of the problem and i don't know which specialist shall i show now. Things to note : My thyroid levels are in normal range for last 5 months, i feel good if i take a walk. Please suggest what could be the potential reason of problem, which specialist shall i show now.
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later
The pain in your back and the neck can be due to
Poor postural habits
Muscular strain
Ligaments sprain
Herniated disc
Spinal stenosis
The first step is to ensure that you maintain an appropriate posture while working on the computer. Take frequent stretch breaks and drink lots of water. Discontinue using pillow while sleeping straight. Do not lift heavy objects, especially after bending down. Eat a healthy wholesome meal which should satisfy your minerals and proteins requirement.

The most essential and long lasting remedy is exercises. There are certain back strengthening and neck isometric exercises that you must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home or work whenever possible. You can also undergo a weeks session of traction at your physiotherapist's clinic.

Last but not least, if its unbearable take medications or muscle relaxant prescribed by your physician. And if it has been long standing illness visit your orthopaedician and clinically-radiologically ( MRI Scan) establish a diagnosis to commence definitive treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Suffering from low back pain. Scan showed functional cyst. Suggestions 3 minutes later
Doc thanks but please advice what explains the pain that goes from back all the way to my left leg small finger and the weakness that follows ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
It can be due to all the possible reasons I have listed earlier (in the order of probability). An MRI scan of the spine will help in definitive diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.