Suffering from high cough, cold and infection. Advised levocetrizen dehedrocloride. Suggest??

I am suffering from high cough and cold and throat infection. Doc advised to levocetrizen dehedrocloride 5 mg twice a day and levoflox 500 a day. My throat infection is relaxed but cough and cold is still there with mild throat pain. Actually cough is making a more problem. pl suggest.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 hours later

You have not mentioned since when you are suffering with the problem.

Throat infection is a common infection which responds to treatment very well. The symptoms regress within a few days to week. If the antibiotic was started only a day or two ago, please give it some time.

However if the cough is causing you trouble, then use cough lozenges which are available easily in the market. Ginger tea can also be useful. Medications such as Tus Q syrup can be tried after discussing with your treating doctor if the aforementioned home remedies do not help.

Hope this helps.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Suffering from high cough, cold and infection. Advised levocetrizen dehedrocloride. Suggest?? 2 hours later

The antibiotics were started two weeks back for 5 days. It relaxed me for one week but now again I have lot of pain in my throat from today. Cough was constant during these days. Home remedies are also tried but no suggest.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 14 hours later

It looks like the infection has returned back. In such case, the infection needs to be treated with appropriate drugs.

If I were to be your treating doctor, I would recommend:
1. Garling with warm disprin solution. Disprin which is a despersible aspirin can be mixed with XXXXXXX warm water to prepare this solution. You can gargle thrice a day.
2. Continue home remedies I suggested earlier.
3. If the cough is associated with sputum, Syp Benadryl can be used instead of Tus Q syrup. Benadryl is available over the counter. You can try 1 tsp thrice a day.
4. Antacid such as Syp Mucaine gel 1 tsp before food for a week.
5. Watch and observe the progress. If the symptoms do not improve in the next three days or if you develop, you should visit an ENT surgeon for evaluation. Appropriate antibiotics (perhaps a much more broader spectrum antibiotic) need to be started.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.