Suffering from headache. CT scan of head normal. Not cured by nortriptyline. Allergic reaction?

I am 44male no cholesterol ,BP, diabetes . CT scan done on head is normal. Suffering from headache past two months, it follows during night when I am about to sleep first brain starts vibrate some time I feel my heart area also vibrate it continue whole night it happens only with my sleep as soon as sleep start it comes , and if i open my eyes vibrations stop , week ago doctor prescribed me Nortriptyline so far it's not helping , is this allergic reaction ?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 36 minutes later

No, I DON'T THINK THAT it is allergic reaction.

The characteristics of your headache vary individually in any clinical condition. And headaches can occur due to various causes like brain tumor, infection, migraine, cluster headache, tension headache, etc. The good news is that your CT scan is normal.

If the headaches are troubling, it would be worth to report back to your neurologist. He/she can perform a detailed examination and order for CSF analysis to rule out infections of brain. If all these tests are negative, a possibility of tension headache is likely.

You have to learn relaxation techniques. You may benefit with Amitriptiline, if nortriptyline is of no help.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Follow-up: Suffering from headache. CT scan of head normal. Not cured by nortriptyline. Allergic reaction? 2 hours later
Hi doctor
Do you think it's because of my drink I was drinking alcohol 2 to 3 times a week not very heavy drinker but when ever I drink first day of weekend morning time I had severe headaches for past 2years but second day of weekend I have no headache and these symptoms start one of these days I am suspecting alcohol , may be I am allergic to alcohol my doctor done lots of blood test they all normal
Funny thing during day I don't have these feelings only headache due to brain pounding or pulsing when falling sleep and around 4 am , my nights are really uncomfortables
Around same time I had flue doctor also put me on 3courses of antibiotics
Now also feel hissing sound in ears,
Why it's just start with sleep any other case like mine
Really appreciate your time
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 5 hours later
Thanks for the update.

I do not think that it is allergy related issue. Tension headache may happen in night only. Some patient with low cerebrospinal fluid pressure usually have headache when they lie down.

Based on your description, tension headaches seems more likely to me. I advise you to get re-evaluated by a local neurologist. He/she can perform a detailed clinical examination and may advise you to go for MRI scan and other relevant test. Adding amitriptyline should take care of your symptoms.

Therefore I urge you to visit a qualified neurologist.

Hope this clarifies your query.