Suffering from fistula in ano. What cure and treatment should be done?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Dear sir i am suffering from fistule in ano from last three month please suggest me what is the best possible cure of this problem
it is very painfull to live with this please help me.
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 48 minutes later

Fistula in ano is treated surgically to achieve best possible outcome. Medical management is restricted and allows only symptom control. Definitive cure cannot be achieved by medical management alone. You should get yourself examined by a surgeon and get surgical treatment done as advised by your doctor.

As you plan for surgery, conservative/medical management that include antibiotics to prevent infection, stool softeners, local anaesthetic gels and anti-inflammatory measures can be followed to relieve symptoms. If pus collection is present in addition to the list of medical management list, you will need drainage.

Therefore I would recommend consulting a surgeon nearby.

I hope this is useful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Suffering from fistula in ano. What cure and treatment should be done? 29 minutes later
Surgery is the only cure of this problem.
also i am consulting one aurvedic doctor
he says after surgery treatment duration is about 3 months min and in every week i go for dressing and some medicated thread change.
which is very long duration and very painfull also.

if any other method is present please suggest me
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later

Surgery is the only definitive management of fistula in ano. There are no clear evidences that other modalities of treatment can cure the problem; there is always a possibility of recurrence.

I understand your concern. After surgery, wound healing takes some time. Here in fistula it takes about few weeks for full healing. However no other type of treatment gives you the best benefit and also reduces the chances of recurrence than surgery.

Dressing is must for proper healing of wound and for assessment of pus drainage, if any. Though the process is time taking, but if followed as advised by the surgeon, it is beneficial.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any further doubts, please post your query.