Suffering from dubin johnson syndrome. Can I lead a normal married life?

Excellent

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
I want to know about dubin jhonson syndrome and will I be able to lead a normal married life(women)
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Genetics

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 32 minutes later

Dubin XXXXXXX syndrome is a genetic syndrome in which there is increase in levels of conjugated bilirubin in blood.

To put it in simple words, bilirubin is a substance produced by liver cells for the digestion of fats in the body. This bilirubin is synthesized in unconjugated form which is insoluble in water.
To make it available for excretion in urine, it should be conjugated; and conjugation takes place in liver.

In Dubin XXXXXXX syndrome, this conjugation step is affected due to deficiency in enzymes causing conjugation. The manifestation of this syndrome is increase in levels of conjugated bilirubin above the normal upper range. Apart from the rise of conjugated bilirubin, it does not have any other ill effects.

Thus Dubin XXXXXXX syndrome will not affect your married life in future.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Suffering from dubin johnson syndrome. Can I lead a normal married life? 2 hours later
Thanks a lot for the response. Is it safe to
have intercourse and can a woman who
has dubin XXXXXXX syndrome become
pregnant?

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 8 minutes later
Hello and welcome again,

Dubin XXXXXXX syndrome does not interfere with conception.
So, it is absolutely safe to have intercourse, conceive and bear healthy children.

But you need to be aware that your conjugated bilirubin can remain high.
However, in majority of cases this is absolutely asymptomatic.

I hope you are satisfied with my answer. Please close this discussion if you are satisfied.
Yet, if you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr Shailja P Wahal