Suffering from diarrhoea, leg shaking, headache and sleeplessness. On naltrexone. What to do?

Question
I have gone cold XXXXXXX since XXXXXXX 1st off subutex and still feel terrible. How long will it take to feel better?
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Subutex contains Buprenorphine is a semi-synthetic opioid.Opiods when stopped do present with withdrawal symptoms for more than 3 months in some who had been on the drug for more than a year.

The best way to come off it was by a tapering dosage over a period of 2 or 3 weeks.

If you have stopped the drug suddenly then the withdrawal symptoms are inevitable.

Need not worry a good exercise and lots water taken daily will ensure the residual drug to be removed from the body and train the receptors to bear the missing chemical.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from diarrhoea, leg shaking, headache and sleeplessness. On naltrexone. What to do? 24 hours later
you did not help me with what I should do for the leg shaking, and the diareaha, in addition to the sleeplessness. My doctor gave me lorezapam which I am taking but doesn't help much. Its been almost 30 days now, and my doctor prescribed naltrexone. I tried one last night and I thought I was going to die the last 24 hours. I had extreme stomach cramps, headache, and extreme diareahea. Then I realized the immodium ad could have caused an adverse reaction with it. I then took a couple doses of pepto, and it seemed to help. Will I feel this bad for 3 months, or will it gradually go away? I don't plan on taking any more of the naltrexone.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I am now enlightened about the symptoms you have which are seen typically in withdrawal of opioids.

Naltrexone is the best way to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms , since you are unable to tolerate I would recommend a newer and safer drug of same class called Nalmefene.

Do discuss with your doctor and procure a prescription for the same.

The symptoms you have will gradually reduce over time and end by 3 months , this happens as the drug slowly gets detoxified and excreted from the body.

As I mentioned earlier good exercise and lots water taken daily will surely help you recover soon.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.