Suffering from diabetes, night sweats, fatigue and whooshing sound in ear. What is going on?

diabetes, night sweats, fatigue and whooshing soundHi there,

My boyfriend, 32 years old white male, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 5 months ago. He has it under control now with mdi of insulin. However he's been very tired lately, and also suffers from night sweats which don't seem to be related to high or low blood sugars. This past week he's also started having a whooshing sound in his right ear. It comes and goes, and isn't related to his blood sugar either, or his blood pressure, which I took during one of the whooshing episodes, and it was 110/70. Should we be worried? The fatigue is pretty intense, and the night sweats are disconcerting.

Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

As you have mentioned that he is on insulin, his blood sugar level have to monitored regularly.

The symptoms that you have mentioned that is increased sweating, fatigue are signs of hypoglycemia, that is decreased blood sugar level. It can be seen with insulin. It is necessary that one receives optimum level of insulin.

Hypoglycemia may also result if, after taking your diabetes medication, you don't eat as much as usual (ingesting less glucose) or you exercise more (using up more glucose) than you normally would. To prevent this from happening, your doctor have to work with you to find the optimum dosage that fits your regular eating and activity habits.

I advice you to see consulting physician for any dose alteration and for thorough examination.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Suffering from diabetes, night sweats, fatigue and whooshing sound in ear. What is going on? 7 hours later
he does monitor his blood sugar levels... anytime he's checked during a night sweat episode he was in the normal range, which is why we're concerned. And hat do you make of the whooshing in his ear?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 3 hours later
Good to hear from you.
It is difficult to predict without examination, i think the whooshing in his ear is related to the fatigue.
As you have mentioned his blood sugar is normal during the episodes, it will be better if he is observed by the physician during this episode and after that if the physician can decide whether he needs to adjust the insulin level or not. One more thing one can think is, if he is involved in any stressful activity day, evening fatigue is common.
I advice you to keep his room cool and observe for any improvement.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.