Suffering from constipation and irregular hard motion after taking Amryl. What is the alternative medicine for control of PPBS?

Rheumatologist
Question
I am diabetic. Taking novo rapid 5 units per time twice a day along with leant us 24 units at bed time. Fasting is under control like less than 100. PPBS after BF and after lunch is high like 220 to 250. My doctor suggested Amryl 2 m twice a day before food. But Amryl is causing constipation, severe discomfort, delayed, irregular, hard motion. I increased novo rapid by another 2 units, but still no help. Can you please suggest alternate medicine for control of PPBS.
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that you can try voglibose which is specially formulated for controlling post prandial blood sugar . It is a very good alternative if you are having intolerance to amaryl . You can talk to your treating doctor regarding this and if he feels you can try this. Take care . Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Suffering from constipation and irregular hard motion after taking Amryl. What is the alternative medicine for control of PPBS? 3 minutes later
Thanks for the answer. Even I had severe intolerance with Voglibose, it was discontinued , then it was changed to Amaryl. I have intolerance for this also. Please suggest alternate.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Then you can try metformin , it will improve your overall control of blood sugar and is not meant specifically for post prandial blood sugars but will be helpful to you . Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Suffering from constipation and irregular hard motion after taking Amryl. What is the alternative medicine for control of PPBS? 4 minutes later
Dear Madam, I am taking Melmet 500 SR after lunch, besides it is part of Janumet which I take twice a day 50/500 in morning before BF and 50/100o before dinner. Thus metformin 2000mg per day is taken. Hence metformin also not so helpful. Please suggest alternate.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, You are already on best of drug regimens and almost all drugs have already been included . Now only thing I would recommend strict dietary control . Include whole grains in your diet and lots of salads . Dr. Shruti